PRINCE2® Combined Foundation & Practitioner Course
What you will learn
The aim of this course is to provide delegates sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor PRINCE2® in a project situation. A successful delegate should, with suitable direction and support, be able to start applying the method to their projects straight away.
Delegates will be able to apply and understand how to tailor PRINCE2® effectively to a project within an organization environment supporting PRINCE2®. Specifically delegates should
- Understand the relationships between the roles, management products, principles, themes, techniques and processes
- Be able to apply the principles, themes and processes to a project
- Be able to create and assess management products
This course leads to the PRINCE2 ® practitioner level certification. Delegates are prepared for the Foundation examination and will normally take this examination on the third day of the course. The Foundation qualification is a pre-requisite for the Practitioner examination. The Practitioner examination is normally taken on the final day of the course.
The PRINCE2® Foundation examination is a closed- book 60 minute 75 multiple choice question paper with 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores. The pass mark is 50% (35 marks required to pass out of 70 available).
The Practitioner examination is an open- book objective test examination based on a given scenario and lasting 150 minutes. There are 8 questions each worth 10 marks, making a total of 80 marks available. The pass mark is 55% (44 marks required to pass out of 80 available).
This course is aimed at project managers, project management consultants and aspiring project managers. It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including:Project Board members
- Senior Responsible Owners
- Project Sponsors
- Senior management involved in making project-level decisions
- Product Delivery Managers
- Project team members
- Business Analysts
- Subject matter experts delivering or providing expertise to a project
- Business Change Analysts
- Change Board members
- Risk managers
- Stakeholder representatives
- Project office support staff
- Program office personnel
- Planners and plan creators
- Operational line managers/staff involved in a project, or intending to be involved
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course. However, it is anticipated that delegates will possess knowledge of projects or have experience of working in a project environment. This is to ensure that the intensive nature of the course does not cause delegates to struggle through the course. If such knowledge or experience does not exist, delegates may be advised to split the course into the separate Foundation and Practitioner courses. The course may be booked as a single unit, to achieve the cost effectiveness, but schedule each course in different weeks. Please call your local office for further details.
There is between 6 and 15 hours of pre-course preparation to be completed and it is vital to the success of the course that this work is completed. The course is intensive and there will be no opportunity during the course itself to try and catch up. The actual time taken by each delegate will vary enormously and will depend on the individual, their learning style, existing knowledge or skills, and project management experience.
In addition, delegates should allow for 2 to 3 hours of evening work on each evening during the course. This is to allow consolidation of the learning provided during the day and to provide sufficient practice with the sample examination questions provided in order to pass.
- Introduction to Principles, Themes and
- Business Case Theme
- Organisation Theme
- Starting Up a Project
- Review of Day 1
- Initiating a Project
- Risk Theme
- Quality Theme
- Change Theme
- Review of Day 2
- Progress Theme
- Controlling a Stage
- Managing Product Delivery
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Plans Theme
- Closing a Project
- Directing a Project - Review
- Revision and exam
- Understanding the practitioner examination format
- Tips and tricks for answering the Practitioner Questions
- Review of PRINCE2®
- Practice questions under examination conditions
- Review of answers
- Practitioner examination only
- The timetable and order of events may be varied by the trainer where they see an opportunity to give delegates a better learning experience.